Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009)

Genres

Animation, Comedy, Sci-Fi

Directors

Phil Lord, Christopher Miller

Country

USA

Voice Cast

Bill Hader, Anna Faris, James Caan, Neil Patrick Harris, Bruce Campbell, Andy Samberg, Mr. T, Bobb'e J. Thompson, Benjamin Bratt, Al Roker, Lauren Graham, Will Forte

Storyline

Clumpsy inventor Flint Lockwood (Bill Hader) creates a machine that can turn water into food and soon food starts falling from the sky. But it eventually gets out of control as the people of the town ask for more and more food.

Opinion

The first time I saw Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs I didn't enjoy it at all. I found it so boring, I almost fell asleep. Then, months ago (maybe even more), some TMP entries made me realise that I was probably the only one who felt that way so I decided to give it a second chance and I enjoyed it. Probably not as much as everybody else, but definitely more than the first time.

The reason I watched it in the first place was the storyline and it ended up being my favourite part of the film. And it still is. It is original and yet clichéed (there are both the
typical romantic subplot and the father-and-son relationship) but, although it feels dragged at some points, it's quite enjoyable and fun to watch.

However, what I really liked back then and what I really like now is not the story itself but its meaning and how much it has to teach us. Without being too complicated or heavy, the film delivers its message. And it's not that American is fat (okay, maybe that too) but it is about the inability of human beings to contain themselves - we are never satisfied, we always want more and more - but most of all, it shows how we are treating our planet.

My biggest problem with this film is the characters. They are pretty shallow, childish and annoying as well. The lead is barely likeable but you root for him anyway because there isn't a strong villain. The cop and the monkey were kind of nice though. The animation isn't that bright either, but at least the actors did a fairly good job bringing to life the characters.

3 comments :

  1. I really enjoyed this one for the same reasons you give near the end of your review. It goes about the business of teaching a lesson without being heavy-handed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know but i doubt I will see this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carino, ma penso che potevano farci un corto invece di un film.

    ReplyDelete